Monday, August 16, 2010

Letter from Stevie! Postmarked 7.26.10



Letter from Stevie! Postmarked 7.26.10

Editor: Monica Lucero




(editor’s note: I hope I got the African words right Stevie!! Love your style, we don’t measure our years like this often enough- what an awesome year you’ve had! Xo!)







“How do you measure, measure a year.”

(It’s amazing how often RENT gets stuck in my head…could be all the talk of AZT, ARVs, or all the candle lighting)




Well first let me apologize! I have majorly been slacking! I mean December? Merry Christmas? 6 months since my last entry? PATHETIC! I’ll try and stay more on top of it but to be honest no promises…




A couple of big things have happened in the past 6 months so lets do a quick review




Jan:

- brought in the New Year in Malaui- fabulous

- enjoyed mango season- already miss it!

- Got some weird sand worms from Malawi- no further details needed

- It rained- a lot!




Feb:

- went to Zanzibar with a big group of volunteers to go to an African Music fest and sit on the beach- the trip was amazing! Good music good food, good people, and THE OCEAN! Longest I have ever (and hopefully will ever) be away from the ocean.

- Still more rain

- Lots of school fun




March:

- helped train the new group of volunteers that flew-in-newbies!

- Went back to Iwaka at the end of the month for a conference and ended up singing with a live band at a bar- a little Lauryn Hill




April:

- had a huge Easter extravaganza with some volunteers stationed in other provinces. They all made the treck to NW and we made tons of food all weekend- Easter brunch= bloody mary’s, challan bread French toast, and bagels from scratch

- went to a few rehearsals with the guys I met at the bar and performed at this swanky Italian restaurant for an event the Italian Embassy was hosting- random!

- Had to say goodbye to a lot of volunteers that made up a large part of my life here- but finished their service- miss them tons!

- Mufumbue had elections for a new Parliament member. Things got a bit violent and we stayed far away!




May:

- Had my mid-term conference- only one year left!

- Stayed in Iwaka for some medical fun- I’m ok!

- Had provencial then country wide meetings




And here we are in June! So now you are caught up on the highlights but there is one thing I want to go back and discuss before I move on. It’s kind of a big one…




April 25th 2010 was my one year anniversary of being an actual Peace Corps Volunteer. It means I am over half way done with my time in Zambia!




And with that comes all kinds of mixed emotions. I asked myself how do you measure a year?




One Year in Zambia equals…

- books read- 45 (Editor: WOW!)

- Schools visited- 7

- Nursery schools opened- 2

- Countries visited- 3

- Painfully long staff meetings- 49

- Hours spent hitching- well over 500

- Times I’ve seen apples for sale in Mufumbue- 3

- Provinces in Zambia seen- 6

- Zambian water falls visited- 3

- Kids in my yard daily- 8-13 (editor: “noodles” ☺ )

- Tables my host father has fit into my hut- 7

- Bafwas I have had built- 4

- Kitenge items I have sewn- 31… Christmas stockings, postcards, clutch, guitar strap, bags, earrings, 1/3 of a quilt

- Phone cases I have made and lost- 3

- This American lifes I have listened to – 62+

- Hours waiting for a ride at Kasempa turn off- 27

- Elephants I’ve seen- 4

- Bridges I have jumped off- 1

- Times I have performed in Lusaka- 3

- Pillows I had to destroy because of mold- 2

- Bags of charcoal- 4

- Times I took the bus instead of hitching- I still ask why I did that to myself- 7

- Pairs of reefs I wore to the ground- 3

- Engagements of weddings of close friends and family- 15- seriously guys!

- Volunteers that have visited my house- 11

- Other volunteers sites I’ve seen- 16

- Coloring books my kids have finished- 4

- Days I wanted to leave Zambia- 0 (moments? Yes, but entire days? Never)




How do you measure a year?

Seeing how I just finished reading High Fidelity here are some of my top 5’s…




Top 5 Zampop artists (enjoy the names)

- Dalisoul (youtube it! You know you want to!)

- Mampi

- JK

- Ozzy

- Cosmo




Top 5 artists I only love b/c

- Lady of Zambia Gaga

- Rhiana (well that’s not new, bit the conviction is)

- Akon

- Kesha

- All Zampop




Top 5 artists I have rediscovered and constantly have on:

- Bill Withers

- Michael Jackson

- Sara Berallis

- Amas Lee

- Sam Cook




Top 5 Zamlish Phrases

- sorry sorry (pardon me/sorry!/oops)

- I am used (I have adjusted)

- Ka-small (very small ka in front of any thing to make it small)

- You are creating (you are lying)

- At reast! (at least…)




Top 5 words in any of the Zambian languages

- mwane- used for everything

- bufi- bemba- lies!

- Twakosa- kaonde- we are strong

- Kafwako- kaonde- nothing

- Chambwende- luvalle- perfect/exactly




Top 5 vices I kind of liked in America that I can’t live without here

- salt

- Coca cola

- Crisps or potato chips

- Chips or fries

- Milk chocolate




Well I’ll stop there for now but I love and miss you all!

Mushale Bulongo

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the great updates... I will get more coloring books in the mail to you soon!
    What great adventures you are having- hope to catch a glimpse of you in October! Love Cristy

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a GREAT year! Can't wait to see you, we're proud to be your family. Love, Uncle Mike & Aunt Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stevie!
    Your year sounds amazing...I cannot believe it's been that long since you left the states! Happy Belated birthday from us. You know the family tradition...good intentions! We'll get a package off to you soon. We're so proud of you and the work you're doing. I know you and Erin will have WAY too much fun together. What a gift to be able to connect with each other so many miles away from home! Take care of yourself and know that we think of you often and send our love to you for another wonderful year in Zambia. Take care and enjoy this journey...love you!

    ReplyDelete